VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) Survey Results

Subject: VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) Survey Results
From: David Demyan <ddemyan -at- coppercom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:40:25 -0500

Thanks to the 55 respondents to my informal poll question, included below.
This posting presents the results.

<<This is just a quick informal survey to see if we need
to be more explicit in our documents with a fairly technical
audience. If you have an extra moment, please respond directly
to me YES or NO if you know what the term VoIP means.>>

Of the 55 responses, only 11 (20 percent) did not know that VoIP stands for
"Voice
over Internet Protocol."

In all, 44 people responded YES (80 percent).

Of those, 32 responded simply YES (60 percent).

3 responded YES and guessed at the meaning correctly, but in the context of
the
response, I considered it an educated guess--some even stated they were
guessing.

9 responded YES, but went on to state that it should still be spelled out
in the document and glossary.

Several people responded that typical TECHWR-L subscribers are not likely to
be equivalent to my hypothetical "...fairly technical audience." I agree
with this
and would like to poll our actual users on such issues. I hope the exercise
was worthwhile anyway. For me, at least, it proved the point that each
technical
term should be spelled out and explained regardless of the audience because
there
will always be a significant portion to whom the term is new.
David B. Demyan, Technical Writer
CopperCom
(561) 322-4148

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com