RE: Instructor Guides?

Subject: RE: Instructor Guides?
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:18:05 -0600

> Her vision, though, is to have one manual where the participant guide
pages are on the right-
> hand side and the corresponding instructor guide pages are on the left. I
find this method
> way too tedious and cumbersome.

You didn't say which program you're using, but I'm going to throw an idea
out anyway. Incorporating the idea your boss has isn't as tedious and
cumbersome as it sounds if you're using FrameMaker.

Here's how: Use Flow A for left-hand pages and Flow B for right-hand pages
in the instructor guide. Import the chapters from the participant guide as
text insets into Flow B pages of the IG. This should give you the exact text
page-by-page from the PG on the right-hand pages of the IG. Then use the
left-hand pages to describe what the instructor sees on PG pages (including
the actual page numbers from the PG, which you could set up to update
automatically through cross-references).

After the files are set up this way, if you make updates to the PG, they
will automatically be reflected in the IG, and the only thing you would have
to do is go through the IG to update information where pagination changed.
Even though you would have to reprint the IG each time, it wouldn't have to
be a lot of extra work on your part. (But don't tell your boss that. Let her
think you're moving Heaven and Earth each time yet doing it without
complaint.)

Good luck!
Donna
------------------------
Donna Jones
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.
Vernon Hills, IL

- CONFIDENTIAL -
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete
this email.

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com