RE: Instructor Guides?

Subject: RE: Instructor Guides?
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:37:01 -0700

> Her vision, though, is to have one manual where the participant guide
> pages are on the right-hand side and the corresponding instructor guide
> pages are on the left. I find this method way too tedious and cumbersome.

If the material is particularly complex, and requires extensive Instructor
notes, I would agree with this approach. It's a very common instructional
design method.

When the material is less complex, and only requires minor Instructor notes,
I've often created curriculum that incorporates a "Notes" column along the
outer margin (about 2-2.5 inches wide) and entered Instructor notes there to
create the Instructor Guide. When curriculum development is complete, I
simply remove any text using the "instructor notes" style and re-save the
modified document as the Student Guide (making appropriate changes to
headers/footers, introductory material, etc., as necessary). The
instructional material (aligned with the inner margin, about 4-4.5 inches
wide) is then identical in both documents, and the Student Guide has a
ready-made place for the students to make their own notes during class.

(p.s. I've used this approach successfully in both Word and Frame documents,
depending on the deliverable requested by the client.)

Lyn Worthen
Curriculum Developer
Caselle, Inc.

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com