Char. spacing (kerning?) basics?

Subject: Char. spacing (kerning?) basics?
From: DaveC <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 01:12:18 -0700

I have always used crude methods to get around screen font spacing problems, like choosing another font that looked better. Truthfully, I never understood why some characters are closer together than others, and how to fix the problem, not just avoid the symptom.

How can I fix a font's spacing on-screen, so that it is uniform.

Can someone, in a paragraph or less, outline why some fonts' spacing look so poor, while others seem great? Or give a reference to a web site that could help me?

Currently I'm using American Typewriter, and the spacing is uneven across a single line, using basic plain 14 pt text. What are my options?

Teach a writer how to get around a problem, you help him make his deadline. Teach him how to use fonts, and you feed his family : -)

Thanks,
Dave

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com