Re: Char. spacing (kerning?) basics?

Subject: Re: Char. spacing (kerning?) basics?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:16:06 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:

Browsers use the default kerning tables that come with a font; so far as I'm aware, you can't download a custom kerning table for use in your browser or preserve manually applied kerning in a browser.

Geoff, that's news to me. I wasn't aware that browsers access kerning tables at all. Does this vary among browsers? Do they just call the OS's rasterizer for this function?

The reason I ask is that font display in some browsers is pretty primitive compared to the same font displayed in, say, the Word client. But I can't say I've spent any time checking into this, either; so I just want to know whether you're going from information or instinct on this point.

Later in your question, you mentioned that you're using American Typewriter, which is a nonproportional or "fixed-space" font.

Yeah, I always thought so, too. But Bonnie Granat set me straight on that last night. American Typewriter is a proportional font that "resembles" a typewriter font in glyph shape. If you open it up in your font browser, you'll see.

Dick

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com