How many have Bachelor's degree? (was RE: Creative, and Certified too)

Subject: How many have Bachelor's degree? (was RE: Creative, and Certified too)
From: "Cook, John" <John -dot- Cook -at- camtronics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:35:04 -0500

. My alma mater offers a certificate in Technical Writing. It
. is for people who have already completed a Bachelor¹s degree
. and don¹t want a Master¹s.

I have been writing all my life and learned FrameMaker at a prior job where
I discovered I had a knack for software, hardware, and acting as the liaison
between our programmers / engineers and a target audience via written
documentation and online Help. Leaving there, I got a job as a Technical
Writer with my current employer (a medical devices company). I started as a
contract worker, was hired at the end of the six month contract, beating out
a gal who started a week after I did. She had a Tech Writing degree and I
don't have a university degree. Turns out, we had similar skills, but I had
better intangibles (a writer's "ear", ability to talk tech equally well with
programmers / engineers, and got along very well with the other people in my
department.

I've been here full time going on three and a half years now, and wonder if
my lack of a sheepskin will greatly impact job-hunting if / when I decide to
leave, or if my skills and abilities as a Tech Writer / Help Author will be
enough of a trump card.

I have always had a knack for English / Language Arts, I scored in the top
2% of the country in that area when I took my ACT / SAT tests, I'm a
life-long voracious reader, I write for fun, and I'm a card-carrying gizmo
geek. I've taken several professional training classes (HTML / Help
Authoring) since I've been here and have excelled at everything I've
tempted.

So, the question is, have any of you Tech Writers bypassed a University
education on the way to your career? In addition to the seminars and
training classes I take, would this Tech Writer Certification be of an
earthly assistance as I grow my resume?

Regards,
John Cook
Technical Writer
Technical Information Services Group
Camtronics Medical Systems

This e-mail or the documents accompanying this e-mail contain
information that may be confidential and/or privileged. It may
also be prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual or
entity named on this transmission. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of this information is without
authorization and is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately so that we can
take action to correct the problem.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com