Re: How many have Bachelor's degree? (was RE: Creative, and Certified too)

Subject: Re: How many have Bachelor's degree? (was RE: Creative, and Certified too)
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:06:25 -0600

I got my first job as a Technical Writer without a degree, but I had been involved in electronics since I was 10. Dad had a TV/Radio repair shop. (Anyone know how a pentagrid converter works? Hint, it's a vacuum tube.) However, with that said, I got my last job as a TW because I had a degree in Journalism and Computer Science and a host of one-to-three day seminars on everything from Designing Websites with Dreamweaver to Access 2000 Data Base Development. You can probably still get work today as a TW by bypassing a University education, but I seriously doubt it. The "good old days" are behind us now.

Incidentally, I have recently expanded into Marcom because 1) it's more fun, 2) it pays a lot better and 3) I'm tired of 3-6 month contracts. The funny thing is a large part of my task is to rewrite all the old hardware manuals. They riddled with inaccuracies (the person who "wrote" them hates dictionaries and could care less about spelling) and they were designed by someone who prided himself on his ability to pack as many different type families per document as possible. To make matters worse, for the last three years, the word "troubleshooting" was spelled with a hyphen and put it in 36 point Helvetica on the front page of every technical manual. (Did I say that this person also has a Masters in Computer Science?)

I need a Corona to celebrate my newfound job security.

Al

Cook, John wrote:

So, the question is, have any of you Tech Writers bypassed a University
education on the way to your career? In addition to the seminars and
training classes I take, would this Tech Writer Certification be of an
earthly assistance as I grow my resume?

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 541-218-1252
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com