Re: How many have Bachelor's degree?

Subject: Re: How many have Bachelor's degree?
From: holmegm -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:20:20 +0000

"Cook, John" wrote:

>So, the question is, have any of you Tech Writers bypassed a
>University education on the way to your career?

Yes - I don't have one, and haven't found it an impediment
yet. Of course, I had a good accounting for what are typically
the college years (Navy, ending with an assignment writing
nuclear repair procedures) so YMMV ;) In interviews, what
seemed to matter was aptitude, drive, and experience, rather
than where I chose to mis-spend my youth :)

>In addition to the seminars and training classes I take, would
>this Tech Writer Certification be of an earthly assistance as
>I grow my resume?

Probably, if you could spin it as such. There is no generally
accepted "tech writer certification" though, so beware of
over-inflating it to those who know that. It's on the same
order as waving a "Web Designer Certification" around - if
you can make it work (i.e. show you know your stuff) then you
didn't actually need the certificate. The paper itself won't
mean anything to people who understand the field, and the
correlation between those who know their stuff and those who
have certificates isn't strong enough to matter.

Greg Holmes

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com