Re: PR/TW Help

Subject: Re: PR/TW Help
From: Yaeger Hyde <y_hyde -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:48:38 -0700 (PDT)

Krysta
Well, we sometimes get asked to review or edit PR
material, but there's one other fact I think might be
of interest. A techncial writer must be aware that,
in a sense, all documentation s/he produces is PR
materail. WHen I first started work as a technical
writer, I made the major boo-boo of acting like I was
writing third-party documentation and actually
criticizing the software in a manual I was writing.
If I were a freelance writer doing a book on MS Word,
FrameMaker, etc., that would be okay, but not when I'm
working for the company that makes the software I'm
documenting. At least I only had to be told once.