Re: Why should a tech writer learn XML?

Subject: Re: Why should a tech writer learn XML?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:14:26 -0700

"Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message
news:235822 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> Sean Hower wrote:
>
> > But there is one thing that I don't think anyone really mentioned.
> > Thinking in terms of XML structures fundamentally changes the way one
> > thinks about content. To really grasp and under and use XML, you have
> > to tweak the way you think about data and information, which in turn
> > may open up new ideas about your own documentation, how to organize
> > it, and how to present it. That is a great benefit.
>
> Your comment is insightful. We are moving from a time where questions and
> answers fit neatly into compartments marked "Q" and "A."
>
> The next leap is placing information into flexible structures that can be
> used to reveal direction when a user asks.

I think an even better goal is to understand user goals well enough that the
information is there before they have to ask. And to create designs so they
don't have to ask.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com