Re: Don't say what you CANNOT do in documents

Subject: Re: Don't say what you CANNOT do in documents
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:28:47 -0700

John,
I think it's pretty important to clearly state software limitations in the document so that users don't bang their heads in frustration trying to find instructions that aren't there. I do think it can be stated to satisfy both you and your PM. The PM has a valid concern (especially if there's a competing or legacy product where users *could* do this).

"The query function supports the use of only one criteria statement at a time. To create a complex query using multiple criteria, you must first create an activity (see page 23)."

I could make the case either way for including the "because the application can store only one criteria statement" phrase. More technical people who like to know how software works might want to know that.

Lisa

John Posada wrote:

Hi, guys...I'm having a discussion with a product manager. I have a
Note: that says:
"Note: You cannot build complex queries with multiple criteria since
there is no way to store a criteria while you add another. To create a
query using more than one criteria, you must first create an activity
(see page 23)."
Assuming you know what the terms mean, what are the feelings about
putting something you cannot do in a document. The PM says it gives the
wrong impression. I say it doesn't give an impression one way or
another...it is just an instruction.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com