RE: Document Version Control Help Needed

Subject: RE: Document Version Control Help Needed
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:40:50 -0400

Don't know if it was on TECHWR-L that I mentioned this previously, but
there's a number of good document management systems listed on TikiWiki.

We've been looking into MyDMS which uses Apache with PHP and MySQL. It has
the advantage of being opensource so you could configure it to your liking
and as it browser based it can be used over intranet and Internet
connections.

Eric L. Dunn

Senior Technical Writer

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 04/21/2004 08:49:49 AM:

> What a coincidence. We are in the final stages of choosing
> a browser-based
> document management system for a small proposal team
> spread across the
> country.

> Our process was to first write a very detailed spec as if
> we were going to
> develop the app in-house, and then see how much it would
> cost to get a COTS
> app to fit the specs.

> Among those COTS apps, we are currently looking at three
> finalists, having
> rejected four semi-finalists and a host of also-rans. I
> will not publish the
> application names on a public list, but I will send them
> privately to John;
> anyone else who wants the names is welcome to contact me off-list.

> By the way, VSS is *not* a proper document management
> system; you can find
> extensive correspondence to this effect on TECHWR-L.

> HTH,

> Dan Goldstein

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com