Re: What does $3 a page mean to you?

Subject: Re: What does $3 a page mean to you?
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:24:06 -0500

Small Claims Court

Judge: Ms. Granat, what are you alledging Company X did?

Bonnie: Well, Your Honor, I was hired by Company X to edit a manuscript. We agreed on a rate of $3 per page. This meant manuscript page to me, yet when I completed the project I was supposed to take the amount of pages I edited and multiply it by .75, which in essence made me lose approximately .75 cents per page.

Judge: Ms. Granat, did you find out why you were losing .75 cents per page?

Bonnie: Yes Your Honor, it was because Company X was tallying $3 per page by book pages, not manuscript pages.

Judge: Company X, did you tell Ms. Granat that she was to be paid by book or manuscript pages?

Company X: We told Ms. Granat in a memo that it was book pages.

Judge: Company X, may I see the said memo? Thank you. Ms. Granat, this memo that I am holding up, have you seen this memo before?

Bonnie: Yes Your Honor. But since it wasn't in our agreement, only a memo, I figured it wasn't legally binding.

Judge: Thank you Ms. Granat, you are all execused.

Looks pretty silly doesn't it?

--
Michele

"Not allowed to sing 'High Speed Dirt' by Megadeth during airborne operations." ('See the earth below/Soon to make a crater/Blue sky, black death, I'm off to meet my maker')
Quoted from a military blog
www.krautgrrl.com

Bonnie Granat wrote:

Michele Davis wrote:

A small claims court judge may not take your side about the word

BOOK

being "snuck in" at the last minute,

But why not? The agreement we had didn't say "book pages," but
"pages," which in the industry is a standard that means manuscript
pages. I cannot see why a judge wouldn't think that a transmittal memo
is NOT an agreement, just as I do.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com