RE: Import HTML into Outlook message?

Subject: RE: Import HTML into Outlook message?
From: amdohlman -at- uwalumni -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:06:44 -0600

>> I don't want it to be an attachment, causing the recipient to have to
>> spend another step to open the message -- I want it visible as the text
>> of the message.

>> I've tried various schemes, and came close, but lost some of the
>> formatting.

In addition to losing some of your formatting, Guy, certain versions of
Outlook are also pretty particular about how it handles your HTML -
sometimes links and mouseovers and the like don't work as you'd like them
to, either.

I've been responsible for sending an HTML newsletter, and after searching
through Outlook's help and on various websites, I found that using the
Stationery feature in Outlook was my best bet. That is, I created my HTML
file and message using my favorite editor, saved it, imported it into
Outlook as stationery, then sent a new message using that stationery.
Because Outlook's stationery files are simply HTML files, this works well,
and preserves the links as I wanted them to appear. You do need to use
caution, however: the stationery becomes the "background" of the e-mail
message, meaning that you could click inside the body pane and enter text,
which would appear overtop of your carefully formatted email. It feels
goofy to send an "empty"e-mail message, but since your HTML appears as the
message body, it works out.

For more information on this trick, check the help in Outlook,
specifically the "Create stationery" and "Create a new message using
stationery" topics. If it's still up, I also found the following website
informative, although I didn't follow their steps exactly (and you might
need to distill their information foryour particular version of Outlook):

www.slipstick.com/mail1/html.htm

I'd be remiss if I bring up the dangers of HTML messages, which I'm sure
you're well aware of: there's security issues, recipients might not be
able to view any images included, and some e-mail software doesn't handle
it well, etc.

Good luck - do let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Amy Dohlman
Amdohlman -at- uwalumni -dot- com

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com