Re: Page counts

Subject: Re: Page counts
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:18:02 -0600

Krista Van Laan wondered: <<I don't know why publishers don't use word counts, especially since they like to use Word. In my experience, they created a ridiculously complex method for us to count our pages, all in an effort to make it as much like an old typewriter as they could -- asking for a manuscript in courier, double-spaced, not taking advantage of word counts, etc.>>

I have been at this game for near 30 years and I can't think of any "publisher" that uses Word. Writers use Word and WordPerfect and a host of other word processors to create text. Publishers rely on PageMaker, InDesign, FrameMaker and a number of other programs that take the word processed text, add images and paginate the whole shebang so it will run through the print press and come out the other end folded, sheared and in the proper page order. They need to know page count in order to make maximum use of the paper and ensure an efficient printing process. Just as editors do not like to pay for extra words, print customers do not like to pay for extra paper.

As for asking for manuscripts in Courier and double-spaced, a lot of that has to do with writers/authors submitting material in just about any type font you can think of with about any leading that is in vogue at the time. By specifying the type font and spacing, it ensures them that the writer/author is focusing on the writing and not trying to be a writer/author/designer/etc., plus it gives them a good foundation to estimate the size of the document they are publishing. (I've had to work with some of those author-designers and for the most part, they were good writers, but.....) Most publishers also read the manuscript, and regardless of how many times you have proofed the material, there will always be a typo or two that you miss. This allows them the room to make those corrections before the next step (and subsequently reduce the cost of those corrections by a factor of 10).

I suggest that if you have an opportunity to work for a publishing house for a period of time, you jump at the chance. Even a short stint with your local printer is an eye opener. They have a whole different set of problems that need solving as they take your manuscript and create a book out of it.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 541-218-1252
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com