Re: As long as we're talking about "My Style" in Word ...

Subject: Re: As long as we're talking about "My Style" in Word ...
From: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 13:53:42 -0400

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Body style, Acme.body, and Ajax body all happen to have the same specs,
> Word lists a single style called "Acme.body, Ajax body, Body." When I
> try to rename the style in the style definition dialog, I can't. When I
> try to create a new style to apply to all these paragraphs so I can
> delete the style with the funky name, I can't.
>
> Has anyone else had this experience? And, more important, does anyone
> know a way to solve the problem less radical than starting with plain
> text and picking a style for every paragraph?

I haven't had this experience, but if I did, the first thing I would try
would be this:

1. Save the document as RTF.
2. Open the RTF document as plain text.
3. Search and replace the words "Acme.body", "Ajax body", and "Body" with
"NewBody". In the case of words like "Body" that might occur in the text you
might have to include some of the RTF markup characters in the search. You
can figure that out by examining the RTF source.
4. Save the file as text.
5. Open as RTF and save as DOC.

This is untested, but consistent with experience.

---
Mark Baker
Analecta Communications
www.analecta.com
+1 613 614 5881

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com