Re: Need help with numbering scheme (LONG)

Subject: Re: Need help with numbering scheme (LONG)
From: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 20:05:35 -0400

Beth wrote:

> Prior to an upcoming revision (more on that later), if a text changed or
> was added in the Churlish Line Printer function, then all the CLP numbers
> were renumbered consecutively. That means something that used to be
CLP.7C
> could, in the next revision be CLP.22C. The risk department is not happy
> with this numbering scheme because other documents are now using the data
> from this document, and they are also developing a database to warehouse
> this P&C information. They would like to have a numbering scheme that
> allows the numbers to stay the same so that any document that refers to
> control CLP.3C doesn't have to be updated when the next revision of the
> document occurs. This also means creating a system flexible enough to
> allow insertions into a section, and allow obsoleting old text when new
> procedures and controls replace the current ones.
> Anyone have any suggestions for a flexible numbering system? What has
> worked for you in the past in similar situations (or hasn't worked)?

Beth,

This isn't really a question of flexibility, it's a question of semantics.
The issue is what do the numbers mean. In the current situation, the numbers
are part of the document structure. They describe the position of the
procedure in the document. What the risk department is asking for, in
effect, is that the numbers become attached to the procedures themselves, in
effect becoming a set of formal names for the procedures that will remain
with the procedure they name forever (which means even if the procedures
become obsolete). If this change is made, the numbers then become part of
the subject matter being documented, rather than part of how the document is
organized.

A number cannot serve two masters. You will probably be best served to
decide what the meaning of these numbers is and come up with a numbering
scheme that works for that meaning. If the numbers belong to the procedures,
come up with a logical, maintainable procedure numbering scheme. Then figure
out how to document it.
---
Mark Baker
Analecta Communications
www.analecta.com
+1 613 614 5881

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com