RE: To Space or not to Space

Subject: RE: To Space or not to Space
From: "Karen Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:49:46 -0700

>Now, I see in the "Style Guide" at my work, it says to "always place
two spaces after >a period." I am now confused (which is not hard to
do). Which is it? Two spaces or >one? Does it really matter?

In the days of typewriters and monospaced fonts, two spaces separated
the ending punctuation from the next sentence. These days of DTP and WP
software, usually using proportional fonts, the two spaces are not
necessary. In fact, some software allows the user to avoid them.

But if the style guide says two spaces, and you have strict style guide
compliance officers, then use them.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ
-
FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com