Re: Workflow authorities

Subject: Re: Workflow authorities
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:51:24 -0600

John P. responded:
>>I'm referring to the automation of business processes,
>>usually including both automated and conditional
>>activities. Processes, transitions, events... that
>>sort of thing.

>Isn't this covered under UML?

Not really. This isn't so much of an OMG isse as Work Flow Management in an
organization. The business processes I'm talking about are the activities
that are physically completed (or not completed) that are then noted in
software. I don't want to go into the entire details of what I need to do
because Mr. Non-Disclosure sits in the next cubicle. Basically, I'm trying
to figure out the most logical terminology for use in creating separate
workflow profiles by a user on the fly.

There are glossaries out there, (like www.wfmc.org, as I mentioned before).
I was just wondering if there is, in the Work Flow Management subculture, a
recognized standard for workflow terminology in the above context.

Clear as mud, no doubt.

And someone else mentioned the whole Six Sigma movement. N/A, but this
confusion was due to my inability to spell out what I was asking for.

Paul Strasser
Ennovation, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 100
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-468-1164
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com
>I'm referring to the automation of business processes,
>usually including both automated and conditional
>activities. Processes, transitions, events... that
>sort of thing.

Isn't this covered under UML?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer