Re: Getting a new writer up to speed quickly

Subject: Re: Getting a new writer up to speed quickly
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:31:47 -0600

The suggested list of things to do, each followed by my comment:
* Verify she's an STC member, so she can get some exposure to the field
from attending those meetings.

Unnecessary at the beginning. She doesn't need exposure to the STC world,
but exposure to the work she has to do. In a month or so, fine.

* Give her this list serve and FM Users to subscribe by digest, as an
emersion method of learning.

She must immerse herself in the work that has to get done. But these forums
are good places for tool questions.

* Give her a copy of the client's Standards & Styles Guide for her
edification.

Absolutely! She doesn't have to worry about font-fondling. She can
concentrate on writing. I assume there are templates already, so maybe she
can actually try and write something.

* Create a process flow for her that identifies the steps of the writing
process in my client's environment. (Dual purpose tool: teaches what a
process flow should look like and provides a quick reference.)

Maybe this is necessary in this organization, but if I was new I'd rather
see examples of prior work done in this environment. What counts is how she
fits into the process that creates the final result. Let her know exactly
what the final result looks like.

* Make sure she has access to the right source files and shared drives, and
introduce her to the right SMEs.

Very good. The first two are obvious, the last item (introductions to SMEs)
is terrific.

* Make a table of Titles/Names/Functions to identify the various players in
our environment.

This could be blended into the prior item. Know the SMEs and other players.

Other items to consider - immerse her in the actual
technology/process/software that she will document. Let her play "New
Software User" and figure out the software based on the current
documentation.

Give her a couple of quick and dirty writing assignments. Have her start
writing ASAP. You'll find out about her strengths and weaknesses. Is she
clueless about the product? Is she quick at finding answers to her own
questions? Does she play well with others?

Sum up - Don't worry to much about her looking like a writer. Have her
learn the product, look at the sort of docs she'll write, and get her
writing. Give her some room when she starts producing work.

Paul Strasser
Ennovation, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 100
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-468-1164
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com