Single spacing, double spacing, and doing It ones own way?

Subject: Single spacing, double spacing, and doing It ones own way?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:47:33 -0400

Steven Oppenheimer wondered: <<I know the "convention" for writing these days is single spacing between sentences, not double-spacing.>>

There's no such "convention" outside the world of typewriters, though single spacing tends to be standard in word processors. DTP software is more intelligent about spacing.

The real issue involves "leading", and the question to ask is "how much leading is necessary to let the reader's eye read from left to right without jumping lines, and return reliably to the start of the next line rather than skipping lines?" For bonus points, supplement that with "at what point does the spacing become so wide that the space between lines equals the space between paragraphs and readers lose the ability to detect where the next paragraph begins?"

The answer for body text is that true single spacing is often too tight, but true double spacing is too wide. That's why all decent typesetting software lets you define leading as a function of type size (which generally correlates to line width too).

<<But to my eye, double-spacing looks better -- it helps each sentence stand out more clearly -- and my philosophy has always been to follow my judgement if/when the conventions seem flawed.>>

Although I encourage all designers to question the "rules of thumb", beware the words "to my eye". Unless your eye is representative of the vast majority of your audience, you're producing a design that works for you but probably not for them. When you have a diverse audience, sticking with proven solutions works best. There are good reasons to stick with the established "standard practice": it's a standard because it works, and because readers have learned to deal with it, radical changes should require a sufficiently dramatic improvement that your audience accepts the change.

<<How many people out there agree with me that the single-space convention is flawed, and should be reconsidered?>>

As you can tell from my response, I think that single-spacing per se is nonsense. Good typography requires some sensitivity to the balance between line length, type size, and leading. Simply choosing single-spaced type substitutes the rote following of rules for informed judgment--rarely a good thing--but you shouldn't break a rule unless you know why that rule exists and understand how to improve upon it.

<<how many of you would reject a potential writer simply on account of his use of double-spacing on a Web site, or resume?>>

I wouldn't, but I'm much more tolerant than most. But I would reject you if you insisted on double spacing when I wanted to stick with single-spacing and you couldn't persuade me that your approach is better than standard operating procedures. In terms of your own Web site (www.OpComm.com), I didn't actually see anything like double-spacing (Safari and IE 5.2 on a Mac). I find the type small, but that's just me; I prefer larger type.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com