White paper?

Subject: White paper?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:03:04 -0400

Peggy Lucero wondered: <<I've been asked to write a white paper to our Govt client to recommend steps necessary to get documentation onto our site. I've found some good sites that talk about writing white papers. But now I'm hoping someone can mention a site with a *sample white paper* or two, that do a very good job at it. Any suggestions/sites?>>

Interestingly, this topic seems to come up about monthly on techwr-l, which is my sly way of reminding you that a quick search of the archives would turn up tons of information on this subject. Ahem. <g>

My quick summary of many longer posts: There is no "universal" white paper format. If the client has specific requirements, such as a template, follow them and ignore the other possibilities. If no formal requirements exist, identify their information needs (audience analysis) and write to satisfy those needs as efficiently as possible. Each white paper should be a new exercise in carefully planned and well-executed communication. It should never be a template- or example-based approach unless the client requires you to follow a template.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com