Re: H E L P screenshots look like crap

Subject: Re: H E L P screenshots look like crap
From: cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:25:59 -0600

Hi, Dan

If you're on a PC, screen captures will be 96 pixels-per-inch (ppi), while
on a Mac they'll be 72 ppi. To make a screen capture look better (i.e.,
less fuzzy), you have to increase ppi in the only practical way by using a
program like Photoshop to double the ppi while reducing the image size by
50%. For example, I just made a full-screen capture of a Macintosh display
that's set for 1024x768 resolution. In Photoshop I get an image 1024
pixels wide by 768 pixels high, which makes for a document 14.2 inches
wide by 10.6 inches high at 72 ppi. To make this capture look better, I'd
scale it down by half to 7.1 W x 5.3 H inches at 144 ppi. To get even more
resolution (but at the risk of reducing the size too much) I could scale
it down to 3.55 W x 2.65 H inches at 300 ppi.

Any method of increasing resolution that doesn't include reducing image
size is just wasting disk space!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

TopTechWriter.US
http://www.toptechwriter.us
Award-winning technical writing and illustration services.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com