Re: Indexing whitepaper from Bright Path

Subject: Re: Indexing whitepaper from Bright Path
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:53:21 -0400

> --- Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote:
>> One last thought: a fundamental premise of the web
>> itself is the sharing of information.

Things have changed a lot. Plus, the web has evolved far beyond uniquely
Academic content. Someone has to pay for all the bandwidth. Or are we to
believe that Oklahoma State should be forced to host TECHWR-L for free
again? The web NEVER was free. The tab for the lucky few who were using it
at the time was just picked up by someone else (Universities, Research
Labs, the military).

Costs and who pays them aside, I think the "fundamental premise" that such
complaining seems to overlook is the sharing part. If TravelthePath is
going to share the whitepaper with you, what are you going to share with
them? If you don't think that their deal is appropriate, nobody is forcing
you to share with them nor them with you.

And if you simply want to be a taker, you could always set up a free
e-mail account for just that type of thing.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com