Reviewing FrameMaker documents? (take II)

Subject: Reviewing FrameMaker documents? (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:33:55 -0400

David Knopf proposed an alternative to my word processor-based approach to reviewing Frame documents: <<Although this can certainly be done - I've done it to - it's worlds less efficient than the FinalDraft workflow. IMO, the $399 license fee for FD is well worth it with only one caveat: currently, FD requires IE and Outlook.>>

I should have provided more context for my suggestion, which I made wearing my "substantive editor" hat. (Busily doing _heavy_ editing on a batch of projects right now, and that clearly biased my reply!)

For reviews, it's certainly far more effective to work directly with the source documents, which I'm given to understand FinalDraft does quite well. But from reviewing the specs of FinalDraft, it doesn't seem to permit actual _editing_ with any degree of efficiency. By editing, I mean the kind of work I do: my edits rarely leave a line untouched, to the point that there's often more red ink than black by the time I'm done. For that kind of work, Word is still the best tool available, bar none.

Or have I misinterpreted how FinalDraft works? I confess to having only reviewed the literature hastily, and would be eager to learn that it supports something akin to true revision tracking in Frame, with the ability to incorporate or reject changes at the click of a button.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com