Tools for coordinating "to do" lists between remote teams?

Subject: Tools for coordinating "to do" lists between remote teams?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:07:28 -0400

I've let myself be volunteered as one of the co-chairs for the STC Region 1 conference, which will be held in 2005 in Montreal. We're currently in the initial planning stages, and just finishing off the task of forming committees for each of the various functions (e.g., programming).

We're looking for a tool that lets us accomplish the kinds of things one can accomplish with management software such as Microsoft Project: list all the tasks assigned to each committee, and their completion dates. (Being able to define and manage dependencies between tasks would be helpful, but isn't essential.)

The tool should also let each committee chair update their part of the to-do list, similar to the way that Macromedia Contribute lets multiple contributors keep a Web site up to date. In short, we'd like to make our planning tool available over the Web so as to avoid volunteering one poor soul who would then become responsible for tracking the work of a dozen or so committees.

Last but not least, the tool should be either free or inexpensive, since our budget is quite tight during the early stages.

A "roll your own" solution might involve creating a simple Web site, with pages for each committee to show our progress. We'd send each chair their task list in HTML format, they'd update it as they complete each task, they'd send it to our poor overworked volunteer, then that person would upload it to the Web site so that we have a continuously updated picture of what's done and what has yet to be done. Indeed, that's probably what we'll do if we don't find a more elegant solution. But I'm really looking for something more elegant and less kludgy if it's available. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to?

All suggestions welcome!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com