ADD/ADHD problems and tech writing/editing careers?

Subject: ADD/ADHD problems and tech writing/editing careers?
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:33:26 -0500

Thanks to all who've shared their experiences and suggestions on this topic.

I'm in the same boat, diagnosed late in life, criticized in youth for not paying attention, not listening, not working up to my potential, angering those who expect more of me because I was good at some things, and bad at others that they thought I should also be good at, etc.

My short advice is:

* Learn as much as you can from all sources you can develop. Here's one advantage of having a TW skill set.

* Having the idea that you have something you can identify is the first step to working on coming to terms with it. You're there! Keep working to educate yourself and to find help.

* Support groups of people like yourself, who are struggling to understand what they're dealing with, and finding strategies, treatments, and therapies, are immensely valuable. Although each individual's situation is different, both in terms of experience, and "success" in coming to terms with ADHD, there's a lot of value in these groups. One group I participated in was facilitated by a "normie" as we called her, because she didn't have it, but her spouse and kids did; she knew all about it from the side of a caring and involved family member. This gave us all another valuable perspective.

* Visit these sites to get started in your quest of finding an experienced health-care professional who specializes in these things, and who can help you get tested and diagnosed. There are many overlapping medical and mental conditions that cause these symptoms, and it's not always clear what you "have" just because you feel or behave a certain way. Sometimes it's a combination of conditions that contribute to what seems like a clear, simple behavior.

chadd.org/

allkindsofminds.org

* Search Google for ADHD discussion groups, and ADHD support groups.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker, Acrobat, InDesign
KnowHow ProServices
www.knowhowpro.com
Voice: 612.823.7113
FAX: 1-413-832-3550

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com