Networking terminology

Subject: Networking terminology
From: DBennett -at- Foundationsoft -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:29:44 -0400

Hi all,
I was hoping someone with more up-to-date and complete knowledge of
networking could help me out. I need to write a technical bulletin regarding
some changes that Microsoft is making through XP service pack 2, and I need
to change some GUI terminology to make it readable.

The info I have from MS is: After installing XP SP 2 "TCP/IP and UDP will be
turned off by default. Applications that connect to a SQL Server database by
means of a network will not be able to accept or make connections."

My SMEs have told me that our users will need to "turn on" the specific
ports they want to be able to use to access SQL. However, they've given me
examples saying such things as "Windows Firewall is disabled on: Local Area
Connection." If I understand correctly, "Local Area Connection" is not a
specific port, but rather could be one of many ports.

Uuggh. Is that correct? Maybe someone could just help me out by giving me a
better definition of a "port" and how TCP/IP uses one to connect to SQL.

Thanks much in advance!!

Dannette Thompson Bennett
Senior Technical Writer
dthompson -at- foundationsoft -dot- com

Foundation Software, Inc.
800-246-0800 ext. 213
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com