Re: Networking terminology

Subject: Re: Networking terminology
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:56:16 -0400

DBennett -at- Foundationsoft -dot- com wrote:
> My SMEs have told me that our users will need to "turn on" the
> specific
> ports they want to be able to use to access SQL. However, they've
> given me
> examples saying such things as "Windows Firewall is disabled on:
> Local Area
> Connection." If I understand correctly, "Local Area Connection" is
> not a
> specific port, but rather could be one of many ports.

Local Area Connection can be contrasted with AOL Connection, or WAN
Connection.

It is Windows way of gathering client, adapter and protocol config into a
window.

Look in network properites and you may see more than one network connection.
One is the default connection.

Your last sentence is true, but I wouldn't use those words. I would say
"TCP/IP provides many ports, and the protocol is bound to your network
adapter."

This link has a visual presentation of the concepts:

http://www.warriorsofthe.net/movie.html

Ed Wurster

http://www.eWurster.com/blog/

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com