Client side dynamic help?

Subject: Client side dynamic help?
From: Gordon Mclean <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- mclarensoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:56:31 +0100

Hi all,

I've googled and asked and emailed and... exhausted all the avenues I can
think off. Then I thought of you lot!

Right the requirement is for flat content (HTML or XML) with a dynamically
created structure. Simple? Well it has to run client side (no server
interaction can be guaranteed). Trickier?

Must be cross-platform, cross-browser (potentially usable on UNIX boxes,
Windows boxes and we won't know what browser they are using. We also need to
be able to plug in additional content in the future.

Ideally we will be able to offer multiple views based around user role, task
context, or even screen based. We have a fair amount of input to the UI and
carte blanche (to a degree) to have the on-screen text say what we think is
best but online help IS required.

So far I can get my head around holding id information (of a variety of
types) within the content files and using some clever scripting... it'll
need to be XML based, I guess.

Anyone heard of a solution for this? A product? Or are we forging ahead on
our own?

Best Regards.

Gordon McLean
Technical Publications Team Leader
McLaren
3 Atlantic Quay
20 York Street
GLASGOW G2 8LN
Tel: +44(0)141 227 7600
Fax: +44 (0)141 227 7601
http://www.mclarensoftware.com
mailto:gordon -dot- mclean -at- mclarensoftware -dot- com

This e-mail, its contents and attachments are confidential and may be
covered by legal privilege and may contain proprietary information protected
by copyright or other intellectual property rights. This e-mail is intended
only for the person(s) named above. The opinions expressed are those of the
sender and not necessarily those of McLaren Software Limited, its
affiliates, subsidiaries or any member of its group. Any distribution,
copying, review, use or disclosure of this e-mail, its contents or
attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail, please delete this message and any attachments without making a
copy and advise the sender by return e-mail.

No liability is accepted for any viruses contained in this message or any of
its attachments and it is the recipient's liability to scan this message and
its attachment for the same.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, however, No liability is accepted for any viruses contained in this message or any of its attachments and it is the recipient?s liability to scan this message and its attachment for the same.

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com