Re: Time estimate for writing manual

Subject: Re: Time estimate for writing manual
From: klzorn <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:40:44 -0400

Bonnie Granat wrote:
> Scope? (Don't laugh.) What do you mean? I'm going to document the
> application.... a manual (user and admin), a
> Help file, and technical specifications -- three documents -- for
> $8,000 -- sounded about right. I suppose it's obvious that I have never
> done this before.

Bonnie,

You have a basis for a scope, your major deliverables:
1. combined user/admin manual
2. help files, index based or context sensitive?
3. technical specifications,

Frankly, your price of $8000 seems like a really good deal for your client and a money pit for you, especially if you go into it fixed bid. You need to think about:
1. Format, are you doing the document design? Is it print or on-line?
2. Art, are you doing all the artwork? What kind of art, screen captures, line drawings?
3. Availability of SMES and other client resources.
4. Large picture document structure: TOC, index, chapters--getting stated, installation, using, toubleshooting; admin, glossary
5. Tools and associated tool problems
6. Review, sign off cycles

As Gene stated, you really do no know anything about the software at this point in time, so it is very difficult to make any kind of decent estimate. You need to explore the software, note possible problems with the GUI, terminology, screen layout, and see how it operates.

As to pricing, I used the following formula: $8000 / $40/hr = 200 hrs / 4 hrs/page = 50 pages inclusive for *all* deliverables! As has been discussed many times on this list, estimating is not a science, in fact it's probably one of the most difficult part of our jobs.

I'm currently involved in a project where I'm developing 4 manuals, and training for 3 of the 4. My base estimate is 1600 hours, and that probably is a little low.

Search the archives for estimating and hours/page which was a long, recent discussion. You can't afford to under estimate. Gene's point of estimating then adding a large pad is excellent. I've found that the "pad" I've added to projects usually gets the estimate right on.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ where it's 109 today

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com