What do you ask references?

Subject: What do you ask references?
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:41:59 -0400

Most of the time I'm a contractor, and I'm the guy handing out my references. But now I'm in a position where I've found a potential business partner for a software develpment project (he will provide the programming services, I have the concept and the business development side), and he's given me a pile of his references to contact. And now I realize: What the hell am I supposed to ask these people?

He would not give me the references unless he thought they were going to say good things about him. And besides, am I really supposed to come out and say, "Hey, do you think that even after Billy Bob signs the NDA, he's going to run off and steal my idea, developing it without me?" Seems a bit tacky, to say the least.

Obviously, I want to somehow check that the guy is competent as a programmer, and also that he is honest as a businessman. I had very positive "vibes" when we met, but I don't want the reference-checking process to be totally superfluous. So, can someone suggest, what kinds of questions I should ask his references?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O.

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (SM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com