Re: 'Old fashioned' Tech Writers

Subject: Re: 'Old fashioned' Tech Writers
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:07:33 -0700

I'll bite for a part of this discussion... How is UI design different from tech writing? For the sake of argument, let's assume a GUI can be self-documenting, which means that whatever you might want to do can be done from the GUI without ever resorting to some other documentation. Two questions come immediately to mind:

WHAT can I do?

WHY didn't it work the way I expected?

The first question wants a product overview. What I hope to get at the end of "experiencing" that information is a model that I can refer to whenever I plan my "user experience" session. If my only access to the overview "experience" comes from the "user experience", I see a bootstrap problem. Unless, of course, the "user experience" includes a prominent excursion named "user experience overview experience" or some such - in which case the experience has just morphed into documentation.

The second question can be handled by a "troubleshooting experience", but those experiences aren't always what they're cracked up to be. Basically, they only work if you can break the experience down to a discrete decision tree, with a leaf for every possibility. That can work for some experiences, but with today's software experiences we quickly enter a level of complexity that makes such trees too costly to grow, and perhaps inefficient on a disk space per problem resolution metric. At some point the user needs to experience some reference material such as system requirements, the names of config files, the contents of config files, etc.
My fear with the trend toward experience as opposed to information is theoretical and practical. Theoretically speaking, the essence of language is to condense experience into codes that we can easily transmit. Software wouldn't exist without language. It seems strange to me that we're trying to convert software into experience and minimize the use of language. An example... Farmer Jones puts up an electric fence. How do the sheep learn about the electric fence? Each one must "experience" it. Either that, or the sheep notice that one sheep did experience it and consequently avoids the damned thing, so they follow suit in sheepish ignorance. Farmer Jones' kids are better off. Billy pees on the fence and receives an experience. He then *tells* his siblings about it, thus giving them information they can use to decide for themselves what to do. They may even take advantage of that information, without ever "experiencing" it. For example, they might tell Uncle Bob to pee on the fence as a practical joke. Information is power... something sheep are unlikely to experience.

My practical concern is simple - all that stuff really does need to be documented. You can bet that it will be, but it will be harder (and more expensive) to get the information, the more we quite literally obscure it from the user via "experience". That's my beef with Windows at the moment. It doesn't always do what I expect. Why? Go ask an expert. If I want to learn for myself, I have to deal with MS University. The trend in the next round of Windows will only remove me further from the information I actually need. Bummer. I'll add that Windows "won" over UNIX because everybody said UNIX was too complicated. I'm experiencing sardonic chuckles as I write this. (While you may not exerience the same, I feel its useful to codify my experience via the above statement, and share it with you.)

On the plus side... If the experience of experience pays off, then users won't need procedural docs. That means we can look forward to other information in whatever docs are produced. If we can only convince companies to release that documentation to the general user, things will have a rosy side. Personally, I'm rather sick and tired of the "procedural information" mantra.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com