Re: Binding methods

Subject: Re: Binding methods
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:49:37 -0400

> I am soliciting opinions on different binding methods. We currently use
> spiral binding for all our manuals. We are thinking of introducing 3 ring
> binding along with tab dividers for our larger manuals. We have produced a
> mock up that we think looks quite professional; tabs, nice spine so it can
> be read while sat on a shelf; does not collapse on itself when stood on end;
> longer lasting; easier updates.

I am not a fan of 3-ring bound documentation. The clamps on the binder
most-often bend over time, chewing the punch holes on the pages apart.
I would not want to be fed updated sections and be asked to
essentially update the document myself. If I wanted to keep
documentation this way, I'd get my own binder and print out the PDF on
3-hole paper and do it myself.

> When we presented it to one of our product managers she was not impressed
> and told us that it was a step backwards and made us look unprofessional.

I would agree. Maybe not the step back thing, as I don't know your
company's history, but it certainly is unprofessional by modern
standards.

> I would like to hear other opinions on binding methods.

We deliver perfect bound paperback documentation when we do print.
Mostly we deliver PDFs and online Help. There's something to be said
about getting a perfect bound book in the box with a full color glossy
cover. It's got a professional feel to it. But, your company needs to
understand that there's a cost to such things, but usually the
customer impact outweighs the cost, which honestly isn't prohibitive
at all.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com