RE: XML editor with entity abilities

Subject: RE: XML editor with entity abilities
From: "technicoid" <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:08:10 -0600

Marroc wrote:

>- I want a WYSIWYM editor that can work with content entities

>- I want to be able to edit the structure with the entity <Title> elements
showing... for ease of use

Arbortext Epic Editor can "meet" these requirements. I placed "meet" in
quotation marks because WYSIWYM (which I assume should be WYSIWYG) doesn't
really exist in the world of XML.
(I like quasi-WYG or WYSIWYWIG--"what you see is what you wish you got.") If
you mean that you want authors to be able to work in an environment where
the structured content is formatted, that's doable. I'm pretty sure Epic
comes with styelsheets for DocBook. If you have your own DTD, you'll have to
develop your own stylesheets.

You can use the Document Map view to collapse elements and then drag and
drop the parent tress wherever you like (as long as the target contexts are
legal).

>- I want to be able to edit the entities in-line in the book using WYSIWYM

I'm not sure any tool allows this feature out of box. You can always replace
the text, but changing the entity text itself sort of violates the premise.
However, I imagine someone could write a module to allow inline editing of
an entity. Of course, the entity would change in all contexts.

Bill
technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com