RE: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: RE: STC Transformation -- info
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:14:58 -0500

>It doesn't matter how well you do your job. Your value is always zero.
Past >performance is no guarantee of future performance.

A tad pessimistic aren't we? I cannot begin to say how much I disagree
with your statement. Perhaps it was tongue in cheek. But going forward
that you meant what you said, it always matters how well you do your
job. Whether it be as a tech writer or asking people if they "want fries
with that."

As for your zero comment, it might be your case, but I can say that in
the jobs I have had since leaving school four years ago that I disagree
that my contribution was not valued by my employers, or that I did not
feel a sense of pride and accomplishment for a job well done.

I might agree with your last comment to a certain degree. It seems <IMO>
that companies sometimes do not see the need for a tech writer as easily
as other positions. Tech writers are seen as non-critical. But as for
where I am currently at, I do have disagree with this comment, because
my past performance is why my initial contract was extended not once,
but twice, and that I was eventually offered a full-time position.
But on the flip side, I did work for another company years ago that
liked what I did, but there wasn't room in the budget to keep me on
board, so it didn't matter if I hung the moon, I wasn't going to be
there longer than the contract.

"Every man stamps his value on himself... man is made great or small by
his own will." J.C.F. von Schiller

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone
Stay in Touch and Get the Job Done