Re: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: Re: STC Transformation -- info
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:58:48 -0400

> After many off-list responses to this thread today, I've come to realize
> what the STC should do. They should cease any efforts in the U.S. and,
> instead, go help the TWs getting all of this offshored work. By ensuring
> that they have no U.S. members, they would be doing everyone a huge favor,
> no more US TWs at all. No more talk about professionalism, or career, or
> value add. There aren't any. No more enticing of hard working competent
> people into careers that goes nowhere, but backwards.

Ah, lemme guess. You were laid off and your job was offshored? I'm
sorry to hear that. I've been laid off 3 times, myself.

> Of course, the STC didn't entice me into this field, but neither did it open
> any doors. I've met a lot of wonderful TWs at the conferences. That was a
> good thing.

Yeah. You do meet good people, really at any conference. But the STC,
yeah, it's always just kinda been there, like the wallpaper in my
kitchen.

> It doesn't matter how well you do your job. Your value is always zero. Past
> performance is no guarantee of future performance.

I disagree. You have direct influence over your value. That may mean
different things in different organizations, and sometimes defining
your value can take some creativity on your part, but you do have
direct influence over your perceived value, always.

I've worked for wonderful people and I've worked for controlling
morons, but I've always made my value known. Sure, I was laid off 3
times. First one happened where my company was bought and then run
into the ground (completely - total extinction of the company) by
morons from Texas. Second was my fault for working for a dot-bomb.
Third was also my fault for joining a pre-IPO company at the burst of
the IT bubble. But in all three organizations, despite the layoffs, my
value was realized. Especially the third, where I received a personal
phone call from the VP of Engineering several weeks afterwards with a
personal apology, as the person they kept turned out to be all talk
and they really should have kept me (the remoter) instead of the local
person.

Oh well. You know, what can you do but move on? Really... I've grown
in these experiences and I learned a lot from them. You gotta find the
good in the bad and focus on that. That's a productive use of your
time. Being pissed abotu the bad is just plain unhealthy.

> Anyway, this is my TW obit. I'm gone. Been fun. No more TW for me. Thanks.

Dood, take that frown and turn it upside down. :-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com