RE: Zero value

Subject: RE: Zero value
From: "Raby, Jennifer Farris" <RABYJ -at- mail -dot- ecu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:55:13 -0400

I've missed the majority of this discussion, but from what I've read, I'd
have to say I know where you're coming from, Gene. I work at an eastern
North Carolina University, in an information technology department, where
some folks place a great deal of value on communications, and others just
don't get the importance of it at all. Unfortunately, I seem to deal with
constant frustration over this.

The Communications and Design Team I lead is very active within our
department and our projects are broad in scope - from developing articles,
flyers, brochures, posters, and news releases to planning technology
conferences and expos to proposal and report writing and editing. We try to
work collaboratively with the 6 or 7 different units in our department. I
feel that we have proven our strengths and value and willingness to assist,
yet some of our "techies" and managers seem to think what we do is a waste
of time. Oftentimes they aren't very concerned about whether the information
being communicated is easy to understand or useful or consistent. So they
send e-mails out to the campus community that use technical jargon and
acronyms and most people just delete them. Or they develop websites and
don't ask for editing assistance and the webpages have grammatical errors
and misspellings throughout.

I am trying to learn to better handle the frustration and just continue to
move forward...!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com