RE: Chapter Overviews

Subject: RE: Chapter Overviews
From: "HSC Italian" <twins398 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:16:29 -0500

Hello,

I work with Donna and Carla. I am the writer who believes we need to keep an element similar to About This Document in the front matter. These are the reasons I endorse keeping this section, or one similar to it, in our guides:

1. upper-management wants us to produce usable documentation. This piece provides the audience with information about the guide before they delve into the meat of the guide.

2. I've done some investigating and it appears to be a common practice (standard). Of the books on my desk, be it a programming guide, reference guide, or user based guide, each guide offers a similar section for their audience, as follows: Who Should Read This Book (2 have this heading), Intended Audience (this is in a technical SNMP book), How Is This Book Organized? (3 have this heading), How to use this guide, Audience, How To Use This Book, and so on.

In addition, I understand that the winners of the STC competitions are not "the standard", but I think it's a good gauge of what is expected of guides that win those competitions. Of the five books that I have collected that won the 2003 STC competition, each guide offers a topic similar to About This Document, as follows: How This Book Is Organized, About This Book, Using Your Documentation, About This Guide, and This Guide. Again, depending on the style, some list the chapters (as ours currently does), some provide a paragraph or a few paragraphs about the book, et cetera.

Thanks for listening :)

Your feedback is Welcome!

HSC

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com