Re: The STC and me - Chapter Budgets

Subject: Re: The STC and me - Chapter Budgets
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:43:11 -0700

One thing that has greatly helped our chapter budget is that we became a member of Peachpit's User Group program (Peachpit Press). We receive one free book each month of our choice, and we usually use this for our door prize for our chapter meetings. O'Reilly and other publishers also have a User Group program where an organization can receive hefty discounts on books for their library or other use.
http://www.peachpit.com/user_groups/index.asp?st=43585

We're able to run a fairly lean chapter. We don't have to pay for meeting space, we instead volunteer our time back to the organization that provides us our meeting space. We don't hold meetings in July and August when attendance is down, thus saving costs for food and such (and giving the board a break from planning meetings). We're also able to occasionally hold joint meetings with the local University chapter, and thus able to use the University's facilities with little or no charge.

I do not know the exact membership count of our chapter, but we have 20-30 people show up at most meetings.

Keri Morgret

Our chapter monthly meeting charges ($20 members, $35 non-members, $10 students, $5 meeting only--includes dessert & coffee) just narrowly break even with the costs. Last year, we slashed budgets across the board, and thanks to our frugal Treasurer, we kept out of the red and have a small cushion to start the new year.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com