Re: The STC and me

Subject: Re: The STC and me
From: Karen L. Zorn <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:29:25 -0400

> Holy smokes. My understanding was that our monthly fee for food and room
> was covered by meeting members. STC Ops seems kind of high to me, but
> then so does my daughters school. They don't even break even... yow.
> Maybe I should be a financial planner...

Headquarters are in Arlington, VA which is not the most inexpensive place to rent office space.

Our chapter monthly meeting charges ($20 members, $35 non-members, $10 students, $5 meeting only--includes dessert & coffee) just narrowly break even with the costs. Last year, we slashed budgets across the board, and thanks to our frugal Treasurer, we kept out of the red and have a small cushion to start the new year.

STC across the board has experienced rising costs from all directions. Rents go up; food service costs have increased; printing costs have increased, and other costs have increased. Where a couple years ago you may have been able to have a meeting/education location donated rent free, that is no longer happening. The flush budgets of the past no longer exist, so something has to be done. Due to economic downturns, many companies have stopped or limited paying for employee professional membership. Many independent contractors have had to make the choice between paying a membership fee or paying themselves in order to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. The organization's income (membership fees) at the top level has decreased, the member rebates to the chapters has been decreased. Chapters must be creative and frugal to continue to provide to their member's ROI.

I'd surely like to have that magic money wand.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ
106 and cloudy