Re: CD Life and the Bob OS?

Subject: Re: CD Life and the Bob OS?
From: written_by -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:00:34 -0600

Peter Neilson writes:

> Store it as an analog signal of a 1200-baud modem. That would be
> maybe 100 bytes per second, allowing for framing to ensure data
quality.
> You'll have 650 megabytes to install from one CD, I'll guess, so
that'll be
> 6.5 megaseconds at 1200 baud. So that's 6500 kiloseconds. There are
> 3.6 kiloseconds in an hour, so we're looking at 6500/3.6 or about 200
> hours. At 5 minutes per side on a 78, we get 10 minutes per
double-sided
> disk, or 6 disks per hour. So you'll probably need about 1200 78-rpm
> disks.

(SNIP)

> I've just winged all the calculations without so much as
cross-checking
> them (not even against my earlier paper-tape numbers) to see if I'm
> in the ballpark. Could someone else try an insanity check on my math?

I am just going to accept that you are correct and be done with it.
Perhaps someone can design an interface to go between my Morse Code
Trainer and the hard drive. I can punch out the 1's and 0's on paper tape
and ... well, never mind.

All of my software might be out of date in 25 years, so I'll just have to
accept whatever media it is delivered on at that point. Perhaps on a
molecular storage device with the whole of the net cached on the tiny
memory stick you get as a bonus when you buy Longhorn2010 Professional
from Microsoft.

Query: What ever happened to Microsoft's "Bob" OS? Do any of you remember
that one or perhaps have used it? I can't find anyone who remembers the
product, and I am not making it up. Was it a stand alone OS or did it sit
on top of Winders like a shell replacement does?

Bob.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com