RE: CD Life and the Bob OS?

Subject: RE: CD Life and the Bob OS?
From: "Bruce Evans" <bruce -dot- evans -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:18:25 -0400

"Bob" met a very justified and not-too-soon death. It was a shell that sat
on top of Windows and was supposed to help newbies cope with a graphical
interface. Experienced users found it a laugh and newbies couldn't use it
any better than Windows. I wrote a review of it for one of the now departed
computer magazines. To give it a fair review, I asked my mother-in-law who'd
never used a computer to try it. I don't know if it was Bob's fault but she
never touched a computer again. I suspect Bob died before my review was
published.

If you're interested, I may have my review copy around somewhere--in those
days, the sofware manufacturers, including Microsoft, were afraid to ask a
reviewer to sign a copyright statement lest we write a bad review. It was
said most writers made more money selling copies of these than they got for
the review.

Bruce

Bruce Evans, M.D.
Family Physician and Technical Writer

"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked;
leadership is defined by results not attributes."