Re: STC & moi

Subject: Re: STC & moi
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:14:23 -0400

Here's how it works on the STC-CT site.

The Webmaster sees the job posting first. When looking for a job, he
would not apply for a newly posted position until it had been put up
on the site for everyone. Of course, because he looked at the site a
lot, and handled the postings, he was in a better position than most
members to be aware of plum jobs ... Want that advantage? Then why not
volunteer for a position in your local chapter.

As for the board, for the CT chapter, the board had as much notice as
the rest of the membership about new jobs. It is probably true to say
the board pays more attention to the CT chapter Website than everyone
else, but there's nothing wrong with that; a motivated job seeker
would be at no disadvantage.

For the Connecticut chapter, new jobs were not first circulated on a
hidden page nor on a members-only list before posting; everyone had
and has the same chance, it's just that some are more motivated to
review the Website than others. I hope this clarifies things for you.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:56:48 -0600, Joel <coatesj -at- nucleus -dot- com> wrote:

> Interesting reflections on the STC.
>
> When I first joined my local STC chapter12 years ago I wondered why all the
> plum job listings on the STC job line were always snapped up by the time I
> and others applied. My perception was that certain "senior" members seemed
> to get first.
>
> Just a thought.

An offbase thought, right?

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com