Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:57:01 -0600

keilanhoo -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

Do you have a deadline/time frame in mind for when you want to finalize
cutting ties to the forum? And, assuming someone else does arise to take
over, have you worked out any procedures or requirements for doing a
handoff?

No and no. Given two equivalent proposals, one with an effective
date of September 1 and one with July 1, we'd be more interested in
the former, but there's not a deadline.

Similarly, there are no pre-determined procedures for a handoff.
Really, there's not a technical issue that we're trying to
solve--given the right context, there's no reason that TECHWR-L
couldn't continue to live on the same server, using the same software,
in the same fashion, that it does now, but under different management.
There's no requirement that it does, but it could. On the other
hand, it could move elsewhere.

In other words, the technical aspects of keeping the server
up and running aren't overwhelming--TECHWR-L consists of
a few Linux boxes that basically just keep running, barring
hardware failures. It's the time and energy to update polls,
solicit, edit and publish new articles, and generally keep
things moving forward. It's the committment to not let the
site, list, or community stagnate. It's the committment to
drive new content, new features, new resources, and to meet the
needs of the technical communication community of 2004...and
later. We used to have that, but we don't now. Therefore, it's
time for a change.

Eric

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com