Table that spreads over multiple pages?

Subject: Table that spreads over multiple pages?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:25:05 -0400

Kimberly Thornton reports: <<I have inherited a military technical manual to update. I've come across a troubleshooting table that spreads across 33 pages!!!!! Just one table!>>

Why is this a bad thing? If a chapter can span 100 pages, why can't a table span a lesser range? I know nothing whatsoever about MILSPEC standards (not even if that's a correct acronym!), so one thing you need to do is confirm whether some obscure standard governs this format. If so, you can't mess around with it and must instead optimize the existing design to the extent allowed by that standard.

<<Its a three-column table that lists the Symptom, Probable Cause, and Corrective Action.>>

This is potentially a very clear and logical approach to presenting the information. The only part that seems to be missing is a description of how to tell whether the probably cause is the _actual_ cause. It seems inefficient and potentially dangerous to try taking corrective action before you're sure you've actually identified the real problem.

The first question to ask is whether the users find this approach effective. If they do, the solution is again to make the approach as clear as possible rather than changing the approach; for example, ensure that the column headers repeat on every page, and that the order of the topics is effective. For example, you said this is a military application, so the logical order might actually be something like "which problem could kill me fastest if I don't solve it immediately?" That suggests the order of topics should be designed to support the reader's survival.

<<Obviously this table needs to be broken up into something more sane. My first thought was to break up each Symptom into individual sections and create a table that just lists the causes and corrective actions. However, many of the Symptoms have multiple (five or more) Probable Causes and the Corrective Action for many of these causes have procedures with at least 10 steps.>>

On the limited evidence you've provided, I'm not convinced that the current design is a problem. However, the fact that symptoms have multiple potential causes suggests that the optimal design would be a decision tree or flowchart. That way, you present the symptom, followed by branches in response to questions that help the reader narrow down the potential causes. Truly efficient flowcharts can be difficult to create, but extremely effective if they're well-designed.

The final step in the chart leads to the actual procedure. Since a 10-step procedure won't fit well in a small box in a flowchart, that final box should probably say something like "Install replacement battery (details on page 10)."

<<Has anyone else dealt with this type of issue? How did you handle it?>>

I handled it by creating a dichotomous key (one in which each decision point had only two possible branches), but I was working with biologists who were intimately familiar with this kind of decision-support tool. I'm not sure whether there's any usability advantage to a purely dichotomous key; on the face of it, it seems to me that branching to three or more points would be more efficient for the user, particularly if they must backtrack after choosing the wrong branch. This is one of those things that usability testing would demonstrate conclusively for your specific context.

<<It would probably take an act of God to get a new manual approved and I only have til September 12 to update the document.>>

That being the case, it probably makes more sense to stick with the current design and try to optimize it. Once that's done and you've met your deadline, propose a new design and ask for permission to test it with the actual users to see whether they prefer it to the old design (less important) and find it more effective (most important).

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com