Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers

Subject: Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:00:16 -0400

> Precisely. Quality is not made by the folks in the quality lab, nor
> by the laborers on the shop floor, nor by the inspectors. Quality
> is made by the top management, the Board Room. They determine the
> policies that allow "ship it anyway" to win over "not good enough."

No, they don't. They are the "visionaries" who set direction for the
company as an entity. Middle to Upper management are the people who
define policy. Top management signs the paper that makes the policy
legit.

> They send the managers to a flavor-of-the-month quality seminar and
> permit that to constitute attention to quality. They set up rewards
> for "team player" inspectors and punishments for any individual who
> is seen as stopping production. Often they make stupid decisions
> without proper regard for unintended consequences, and sometimes
> they simply fail to observe things that are wrong, but it's still a
> management problem.

That's a very shallow, one-sided view you got there. As management, I
can officially say your view both insults and disgusts me.

> What's a tech writer supposed to do? Same as in any other failing
> company. Get out and go somewhere else. The only other alternative
> is to take over, wresting power from top management, and I'm pretty
> sure no one's done that directly from a tech writing position.

In some cases, yes. In my case, I am proactive about building
relationships across the organization in the best interest of the
company and initiate policies and practices. I can't be certain, but
I'm fairly confident that this is what landed me my promotion to
management so early in my employment period here.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com