Re: Secondary window vs. popup? (take II)

Subject: Re: Secondary window vs. popup? (take II)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:34:35 -0400

Zola wrote:

target="_blank" is also unaffected because that is an html command that simply says "open this link in a new browser" and isn't a popup at all.

Yes, if you don't care about the size or position of the new window, this works fine. A refinement, however, is "target=MyHelpWindow" (or any other name you like). Then every time you invoke it, the named window refreshes with new content instead of launching upteen "_blank" windows (a new window every time it's invoked). You can have multiple names, of course. Example: we list an event on our site that is a conference we will be participating in. We're not signing people up, because it's not our event. There are two sponsors (CompanyA and CompanyB). You can get additional information about these two companies and you can register at a different url on CompanyA's site. So we provide a courtesy link to target="CompanyB" for the name and logo of CompanyB; and we provide links to target="CompanyA" for the company's home page and for the registration page. That way the main browser window stays on our site, and each company's pages refresh in its own window.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com