Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards

Subject: Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:12:46 -0400

bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com wrote:

Yes, but to many, it's just jargon. The CEO reference was made because of a
(unless I'm misremembering).

If you're referring to my comment, you're misremembering. What I said was that, in corporate America (read: big companies and the small companies that sell exclusively to them), titles that describe what you do rather than titles that identify your rank (manager and above) do not register with people. This phenomenon is not limited to CEOs by any means. Go into a conference room and watch people's eyes glaze over when you hand them a card that identifies a technical function: clearly you are not a person who can negotiate for your company; so why should I bother listening to you. Now do the same exercise with a card that says you're the president of GranatEdit.com, and you'll see that the body language changes completely.

Again, this may not be relevant in your target market. I don't think small business owners react this way, typically. The observation was directed at list members who might be trying to pitch to large companies, a group that may or may not include you.

It all comes down to knowing your audience ;-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com