Re: We capitalize place names

Subject: Re: We capitalize place names
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:18:06 -0400

Zola wrote:

> Under this convention, you should not capitalize internet at all unless you were speaking of a specific internet like the World Wide Web.

But when I say "the Internet" I am actually talking about a very specific internet. An internet is a group of interconnected networks and what we call "the Internet" is just the biggest and best known of these.

I can see a bit of a parallel with "the public telephone system" but as others have pointed out, the Internet is something more since it is widely considered to be a virtual place, like a world or a universe onto itself.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com